Use WMS with login credentials

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Hi,

I'm new to BruTile and I'm trying to figure out if it can do what I want to do.

I need to get data from an external WMS server. They use Geoserver and I can use TILES=YES and I need to log-in.

Can I use BruTile for this or can I only connect to public tileservers?

If I can use BruTile I'll create a MapWindow plug-in for it. So MapWindow will handle the GIS part. I just need a client that can get the images for me.

Thanks,

Paul

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2011 at 6:21 AM

hi Paul!

BruTile has a helper method 'FetchImage' for doing webrequests and returning the tiles as byte arrays. This method does not take credentials but it is fully separated from everything else in BruTile. So it is easy to create your own version of this method and reuse everything else. 

http://brutile.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/51912b8a670c#BruTile%2fWeb%2fRequestHelper.cs

FetchImage needs to be rewritten anyway because there is a performance issues when using proxies.

Paul

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Thanks Paul for the answer.

I'll have a look at it.

We're also considering using GMap.NET in MapWindow.

Do you know the difference between BruTile and GMap.NET?

Thanks,

Paul

Coordinator
Sep 16, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I have not studied GMaps in detail. I know that initially it was intended as a complete application with little separation between app and data layers. Maybe this was improved in the meantime. In BruTile the core components are set up with the aim to reuse them for various tile protocols and to generate the tile provider based on a tile schema. This has been implemented for TMS where you initialize a tile provider with just the url of the schema. Something similar could be added for WMTS capabilties. I think GMaps is less suited for those purposes. It seems to be more focused on much functionality through predefined schema. 

Is there anything specific you are missing from BruTile? Or is it just the low activity of last year?

Paul