AMapper source code

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Hello,

This post if not fully focused on BruTile but on a spin off of it, AMapper for android.

I found this link: http://mapquery.geodan.nl/2011/03/smooth-map-component-for-android/

I'm really impressed with the smoothness of the component and was really interested in reusing the code in a potential project (Another discussion that should probably take place is the potential open sourcing of that component since it's really a marvelous piece of software that the android world would certainly benefit from).

My question was whether there has been conversations or interest by/to the original developers of AMapper to open source the code and contribute it to the community.  I know that I would be happy to extend it to create an awesome GIS Android application and see what interest arises from that.

I apologize if I'm voicing this in the inappropriate location but BruTile is the only link to AMapper I could find.

Thank you and regards,

Alessandro Ferrucci

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Hi Alessandro,

AMapper is indeed based on a port of BruTile to Android (C# to Java). I don't think it is published as open source, but I will ask the development team about it. I'll get back to you later.

Paul

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Hi Paul,

I am just following up on our conversation about open sourcing of AMapper.  Have you talked to the development team about this possibility?  Regards,

Alessandro

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Edited Sep 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Hi Paul,

I'm interested in AMapper as well. Any news?

Thanks,

TiberiuMihai

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:40 AM

hi all, 

It looks like there won't be an open source version anytime soon. The full product will not be open sourced. They would like to open source the core components, but this will take extra time and effort, so I expect this won't happen soon with so many other things asking for attention. 

An alternative path is to 'port' parts of BruTile/Mapsui to MonoDroid. BruTile itself is compiled as PCL so this should not be hard. This is something I am interested in myself but won't have time for soon.

Paul