any demos

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:43 AM

hi, paul

i can not connect to your blog to get start with brutile. http://pauldendulk.com/2009/02/brutile-tiling-library.html

could you put the demo or some document here? thanks

and, where tiles stored, client or server. if i use CF client, what server side should be provided ?

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2009 at 9:41 AM
Edited Nov 14, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Hi cdqrain,

All 5 solutions have their own sample projects. They are called: BruTileWpf, BruTileSurface, BruTileSilverlight, BruTileWinForms, BrutileCF. At some point they will be split up into a proper library part and a sample part but creating 5 extra projects is a bit too much overhead in this stage.

The best way to get started is to create your own project based on one of these samples. I have not worked on any documentation yet. I am making a lot of changes to the interfaces and was planning to postpone docs until it is more stable. There are other requests for docs though and an increasing number of users so I may have to start working on it earlier. In the meantime post your questions here. It would like to see what people need to know.

I have not heard of any problems to connect to my site before. Do you still have the problem? Could it be your firewall? Where do you live? It is basically just a blogspot site, I am forwarding the the domain to http://pauldendulk.blogger.com/. The tutorial on the site explain the use of the core library. This may not be what you need. The samples show how to use the entire package. 

In general tile caching is a way to make the server perform better and more scalable. So all tile services store their tiles on the server. BruTile always keeps a number of tiles in memory. The number of tiles it keeps in memory is configurable. There is a maximum, when this is exceeded a cleanup is done. The number of tiles is then reduced to a minimum value. The tile that were needed most recently will be kept. There is also a means to store tiles locally using the FileCache. It is an optional parameter to the WebTileProvider.  The current implementation of FileCache is simple, just writing and reading of tiles in a certain folder. For more demanding use of FileCache it will need some management, like keeping track of used disc space and clearning up tiles when needed. 

Paul

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:24 PM
Edited Nov 15, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Hi paul

I'm in china, my connection has no broblem. perhapse your site is restricted by my country ? I dont know why. oh, does your site includes some bad influence to china ? :-) a joke.

I have success run your sample of brutileCF. and get bing and osm map.

Next, I replace configure to my own WMS. It can not work. i change TileSchema.Format to "image/png" insdead of "png". Set TileSchema.Extent to my WMS max boundary like this:

schema.Extent = new Extent(118.82081028599998, 25.679567691, 119.583479754, 26.259759368999998);
schema.OriginX = 118.82081028599998;
schema.OriginY = 25.679567691;
schema.Axis = AxisDirection.Normal;
schema.Srs = "EPSG:4326";

when running, mapControl still cannot display map. I cannot understand your principle of realizing the brutile, i just modify some parameters according to your sample code. I dont know which code betray me.

other: my server side is geoserver wms. and pre-tile wms with TileCache, after that, I use OpenLayers to fetch tiles. May I request TileCache tiles with BruTile? if not, what tiles specification should follow, and what tools can be used to generate the tiles ?

I hope mapcontrol should support overlay vector layer to display some linestring, polygon features. and also provide marker layer to display POI data. Next, bind some event (click, hover, etc) to features in these layers.

hope BruTile has a bright future. I will take attention to the development of it.

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Hi there,

I've found some reports about blogspot being blocked in China. You can not visit any blogspot site?

You mention using your own WMS but if I understand correctly you use TileCache.py in front? I used TileCache.py primarily so this should work fine. In fact TMS and WMS-C sample of BruTileWpf also talk TileCache.py. TileCache.py supports serveral protocols, usually you would use the TMS protocol. 

Do you manage to view your own tiles with OpenLayers? If so your TileCache is configured correctly. Now you need to know what the schema is. You can see the schema specification by browsing the TMS REST service. This is the TMS specification and explains how this works: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Tile_Map_Service_Specification

Currently you have to enter the parameters by hand (don't forget to update the resolutions too). In our first release those parameters will be automatically generated from the service description. In a previous version we had implemented it for WMS-C: 

http://sharpmap.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/60134#739068

We will add this here for both TMS and WMS-C.

About adding point and polygons, so far users of the library have written custom code themselves to wrote points on the map. I will add a simple sample code how to do that. In the release there will be a proper way to do that.

Paul.

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:41 PM
Edited Nov 18, 2009 at 3:04 AM

Hi, paul.

I can not visit http://www.blogspot.com/ . I want to find a proxy to visit it. Can you provide me a proxy ?

I've success to use BruTile to get map from my own WMS directly in Windows Mobile without through TileCache.py. Before that, I use TileCache_seed.py to seed the wms tiles. and then, I use OpenLayers.Layer.TileCache Layer to get tiles. Does the protocol is TMS, or It just the tilecache's own schema? If I want to use TMS schema, what should i do in TileCache.cfg. There is a parameter tms_type can be set. But its value is only google. I've no idea, how should I make TileCache as TMS server.

I've use OpenLayers, TileCache and SharpMap to solute some projects. But in the near future, I need to realize Mobile GIS. So I'm Looking for the CF GIS library that like OpenLayers in browser. Now, I think I've found. But If I use BruTile now, I should do many works of my own. So, I hope my project can be put off, and your team can be speed up the library a little. :-)

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2009 at 6:48 PM

hi cdqrain,

If you request a WMS directly this will be very slow. It should only be used if there is no other option. So if you can use TileCache.py to generate a tile cache then please do.

I know little about OpenLayers but scanning the documentation you need the OpenLayer.Layer.TMS layer and not the OpenLayers.Layer.TileCache to get OpenLayer to use the TMS  protocol. If you have that working then look at the BruTileWpf TMS sample to get it working in BruTile.

Paul