Please join the OSGeo .NET mailing list

May 26, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Hey there,

You may already know this, but we have started an OSGeo DotNET mailing list here: http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/dotnet so that all of us who are involved in developing .NET based open source GIS tools can coordinate our efforts to the degree possible (and as people are interested).

In fact, several of us on the mailing list have started thinking about putting together a common .NET namespace called "System.Spatial.xxx" where we can all work together to create common .NET tools with common API's. The MapWindow group has donated the first contribution which is a fairly complete port of Proj4 to the System.Spatial.Projections namespace.

You can find the project here: http://dotspatial.codeplex.com.

Thanks,

Dan

Coordinator
May 30, 2010 at 7:15 PM
Edited May 30, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Hi Dan,

I think the list is a great initiative and I fully support trying to integrate the various .net OSS projects. I am not sure though if the dotspatial initiative is the the best way to proceed since there is already the geoapi project which has a similar objective. It is has not been very successful so far, since SharpMapV1 does not use it and SharpMapV2 uses a specific version of geoapi. But I am not sure if introducing yet another api will improve the situation.

BruTile itself was intentionally left geoapi free so I did not have make a choice here. I could have reused some geoapi code for for instance bboxes but I am happy that I didnt. Now it is just a simple library that can be reused by any framework. Currently it is used in ArcBruTile, SharpMapV1, and my own client Mapsui

In general I would prefer an approach were the various modules are relatively independent. For instance I would prefer a projection library which is not tightly coupled to any api or framework. For ease of use within a framework we could build adapters. There is a lot more I could say about this but maybe that should be discusses on the list and in the context of specific projects.

Anyhow I think it is great you took this initiative and I am sure something good will come out of it. 

Paul

PS: I will also post this on the list.

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:06 PM
Thanks Paul. And thanks for joining the OSGeo .NET list too. The main thing I'd like to accomplish is to use OSGeo as a Hub to keep all of us .NET people communicating in much the same way that the various open source web mapping projects all talk to eachother through OSGeo - even though they have somewhat competing projects. Of course as we do this we will naturally find opportunities to work together, reduce duplication, and take advantage of the expertise that different people bring to the table! See you on the list and here and elsewhere I'm sure! - Dan