Google Default Request Parameters

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Hi,

I'm new to SharpMap and Brutile.

For some reason I can't see the satellite tiles from google but the "regular" tiles from google map are fine.

The request generated is :

http://khm0.google.com/kh/v=66&hl=en&x=77483&s=&y=93636&z=18

I found out that if I change the v parameter to 141, it works.

I can't find how to change those parameters.

I'm using sharpmap in c#.

Thanks !

Olivier
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Edited Nov 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Thanks for reporting this. The hard coded version parameter is something that needs to be fixed. As a workaround you could make a local copy if the Google provider and change this yourself.

But please take note. Google does not allow public access to their services without using their javascript api (and we are not using that). So if you want to go ahead with this you need some special arrangement with Google on that.

Perhaps better to take a look at the Google Provider that Peter Löfås has created:
https://github.com/petlof/brutile-googleV3

It does use the Google javascript API. But because of that the rendering part works a bit different than the way I do it in my projects.
Nov 14, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Hi,
The brutil-googleV3 provider works very well together with SharpMap, It also allows for specifying google maps enterprise agreement keys to run google maps using the enterprise agreement.

It uses a webrowser in the background running the Google Maps Javascript in the background and just rendering the result from that browser to the sharpmap layer.
I'm not sure it will work if run under Linux/Mono since it uses the WebBrowser Control of .NET, but for Windows Applications it works really good (and quick)

Best Regards
Peter
Coordinator
Nov 17, 2013 at 7:29 AM
I committed a change to the parameter without further change because the current BruTile implementation works on the V2 google API (which will be deprecated). Petlof's implementation works with V3.

Actually this announcement says it will be deprecated November 19 2013. So we have two days of fun left with the old implementation :\
http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.nl/2013/04/an-update-on-javascript-maps-api-v2.html
Nov 20, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Edited Nov 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM
pauldendulk wrote:
Petlof's implementation works with V3.
AFAIK google license require that the website is fully accessible without restrictions (i.e: no intranet) if you plan to use without pay the service.
I don't know well how this applies to a desktop application that uses a webcontrol under the hood.
Coordinator
Nov 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM
For paying customers that might be different.
Nov 20, 2013 at 9:16 AM
pauldendulk wrote:
For paying customers that might be different.
right, I've forgot to specify that I'm referring only to free use.
Jan 27, 2014 at 4:39 PM
Please be aware that there are memory leak issues around using the .net webbrowser control. We have been using open layers hosted in a webbrowser control for a project we've been working on and it tends hang onto memory and eventually crash the client. How much work is involved in getting this working without using any javascript?
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2014 at 7:04 AM
The problem is that Google does not allow use of their service unless it is accessed through their javascript API. Perhaps the best approach is to use V8 wrapped in .net. There are several libraries for that. I would prefer one that would work on multiple platforms.
Jul 17, 2014 at 4:31 PM
Something seems to changed this morning, as the GoogleMaps V3 provider no longer returns valid Street Layers.

Has anyone seen anything similar